Occupational Therapy Cole Rehabilitation is a team of Occupational Therapists who work with individuals who suffer from a physically, developmentally, mentally and/or emotionally disabling condition by utilizing treatments that develop, recover, or maintain clients' daily living routines. Our programs address neurological injury or disease, orthopedic injury, repetitive stress injuries and all injuries or diseases that limit patient independence. Cole Rehabilitation's OT services include:
Our therapists work with individuals who have experienced brain injury and stroke. We work with patients who are in a post-acute phase of their recovery with fair to good endurance to tolerate therapeutic activities in a free standing outpatient setting. The goal of the Neurorehabilitation program is to maximize the recovery of functional independence by focusing on mobility, managing spasticity and flexor tone, increasing upper extremity range of motion, upper extremity strength, fine-motor coordination and gross motor coordination. Our program focuses on increasing independence for daily living and to help patients with community re-entry and returning to work/volunteering.
Neurorehabilitation Treatments include:
- Neurodevelopmental treatment from our Neuro-IFRAH® trained therapist, including weight bearing tasks to reduce flexor tone and spasticity, AROM, A/AROM, PROM exercises, therapeutic exercises and therapeutic activities to improve neuromuscular re-education and retraining of the upper extremity
- Orthotic fitting for spasticity and flexor tone management, including static and dynamic splinting
- Functional tone management for the upper extremity using SaeboFlex® from our SaeboFlex® trained therapist.
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation to assist in increasing upper extremity neuromuscular re-education
- Vendor information, education and letters of medical necessity for prescriptions for clients who could benefit from adaptive equipment, adaptive modifications and durable medical equipment.
- Our occupational therapists provide clients with comprehensive home exercise programs unique to each client based on their individualized treatment plans.
Comprehensive Arthritis Rehabilitation
Leaders in arthritis therapy and orthopedics in Houston, our therapists work with individuals whose functional abilities have been affected by arthritis (osteoarthritis, psoriatic, rheumatoid), hip fractures, joint replacement, orthopedic conditions, osteoporosis, and other musculoskeletal disorders. Our occupational therapy department offers the following rehabilitation services for people who are experiencing arthritis diagnoses:
Arthritis Rehabilitation Treatments include:
- Upper Extremity Splinting to provide support, decrease pain, prevent deformity of the joints of the hand, and immobilize painful movements of the upper extremity due to arthritis.
- Patient education of joint protection techniques in order to protect the joints of the Upper Extremity during activities of daily living tasks and work tasks.
- Comprehensive, and individualized home exercise programs including therapeutic activities, joint protection techniques, and pain reduction techniques for patients to continue their therapy regiment at home.
- Therapeutic exercise and therapeutic activities that are uniquely designed for patients who are experiencing arthritis diagnoses Patient education and training with adaptive equipment and adaptive modifications that will increase Independence with performance with activities of daily living tasks.
Certified Hand Therapy
Cole Rehabilitation has a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT) on staff to evaluate and treat patients with hand and upper extremity issues. A CHT is an occupational or physical therapist with a minimum of five years of clinical experience in hand therapy and has completed a rigorous course of advanced clinical training. A certified hand therapist offers the assurance that the therapist has achieved the highest level of competency in the profession.
Certified Hand Therapy Treatments include:
- Orthotic (splint) design, selection, fitting, fabrication and training (dynamic/static)
- Edema and scar management
- Pain management/treatment
- Adaptive equipment assessment
- Manual therapy
- Sensory re-education
- Strengthening / range of motion exercises
- Patient education/injury prevention
- Serial casting
- Upper extremity wound care
- Ergonomic and activity modification
- Physical agent modalities (ultrasound, electrical stimulation and paraffin)