Fun for the Family! – Spring Break 2018
As the weather warms and spring break nears, finding just the right spot for your kiddos to partake in all the seasonal fun is often an uphill battle with children with sensory issues. Thankfully, sensory-friendly events are not only becoming more popular, but accessible in many parts of the greater Houston area. Whether it’s exploring the great unknown of science and chemistry or having fun on the farm, we have the place for you!
1. Little Beakers
Owned and operated by published chemist, Cinttya Morgan, Little Beakers is a real science lab built just for kids, offering science learning and family fun for kids of all ages. The two Houston area locations (Cypress & The Woodlands) offer a plethora of services, one being their Open Lab in which children and parents alike are able to explore their 6 lab stations with 30+ experiments to choose from. Take a look!
- 1 hour lab - $12.00 / child *
- 2.5 hour lab - $18.00 / child
- All-day lab - $26.00 / child
- Children under two get in FREE
- Two adults per child permitted entry FREE!
For further details visit: http://www.littlebeakers.com/
2. The Junction
Formally known as the Kids Country, The Junction is a kid-focused area that tests visitors’ sense of adventure with rides, games and fun exhibits. From camel and/or pony rides, to “fun on the farm”, a child-friendly exploration of agriculture and farm handling, there’s something for every child to enjoy!
- Most events are free, however prices vary based on exhibit*
For further details visit: http://www.rodeohouston.com/Visit-the-Rodeo/Attractions-Activities/The-Junction
3. Sensory Friendly Day @ The Children’s Museum of Houston
Sensory Friendly Day is an exclusive event for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and sensory processing differences to have a fun, enjoyable and interactive learning experience in a comfortable and accepting environment! Staff goes through the Museum ahead of time to turn down lights, limit extra sounds and stop distracting motions. Extra signage is added to help visitors determine things not to climb on, and entrances between exhibits where it is good to stop and wait for an adult before continuing. Upcoming Sensory-Friendly Day at Children’s Museum of Houston is scheduled for April 2 from 10am to 3pm, so be sure to mark your calendars!
- $5 per person.
- Children under one and museum members are free.
For further details visit: https://www.cmhouston.org/sensory-friendly
4. We Rock The Spectrum Kid’s Gym
We Rock the Spectrum Gym was founded to provide a space for children of all ability levels to grow, play, and learn together. With a fully equipped open-play gym, children of all ages are welcome to come in and enjoy the same activities that are offered during the private sessions and private parties. This includes full use of the gym with all equipment, and an arts & crafts section that has: beading, painting, lanyards and much more.
- $12 per child
- $10 sibling discount
For further detail visit: http://www.werockthespectrumhoustonmemorial.com/
5. Sensory Sundays @ Chuck E. Cheese (Participating locations)
In addition to all of the fun accommodations offered during a typical Cheese E. Cheese stay, Chuck E. Cheese’s Sensory Sensitive Sundays offer a variety of sensory friendly experiences including less crowding & noise, dimmed lighting, show and music turned off/down, and limited appearances by Chuck E. Though only offered at participating locations, there are still plenty to choose from in the greater Houston area!
- CONROE – 16790 I-45 SOUTH, CONROE, TX 77385
- KATY – 2002 GULFMONT, KATY, TX 77494
- HOUSTON – 5535 WESLAYAN AVE, HOUSTON, TX 77005
- HOUSTON – 17780 STATE HWY 249, HOUSTON, TX 77064
- HOUSTON – 5075 FAIRMONT PARKWAY, HOUSTON, TX 77505
- HOUSTON – 12523 WESTHEIMER RD., HOUSTON, TX 77077
- HUMBLE – 124 EAST FM 1960 BYPASS, HUMBLE, TX 77338
- SUGARLAND – 2303 TOWN CENTER DR, SUGARLAND, TX 77478
- Varied prices*
For further detail visit: https://www.chuckecheese.com/deals-offers/sensory-sensitive-sundays
6. Shrek the Musical @ Miller Outdoor Theatre
If you’re a fan of the cult-classic movies, you’re in for a treat witnessing the live musical production of Shrek! Full of all-new songs and great dancing, SHREK THE MUSICAL is part romance, part twisted fairy tale and all irreverent fun for all! This is a one-weekend-only event (March 29th – 31st) you don’t want to miss out on.
- Free tickets for covered seating are available (4 per person over age 16 while they last) at the Miller Outdoor Theatre box office the day of the performance between the hours of 10:30 AM-1:00 PM.
- As always, there is free open seating on the hill.
For further detail visit: http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/events/1042/